Monday, May 3, 2010

Jerusalem

Today was epic. We started early with a beautiful breakfast! Then we headed to the Mt of Olives. You can basically see the whole city from the spot we stood at. Our guide Yosef (joseph) taught us many things about the history of the site and city and then the pastor with us on the tour taught us about how it relates to us today...prophecy.We were taught that the city is layed out in the shape of the Hebrew letter shen which is the name for GOD. Cool. Our pastor Joe believes that when Jesus returns, He will return to the Mt of Olives. We were told that on the Temple Mount... where Solomon's Temple was and where today stands the Muslim church called the church of the rock... is where Abraham was lead to sacrifice Issac. This land is so alive with the history of the Bible. On that same site is where the temple stood when Jesus was tried and crucified and where the veil was torn between the Holy of Holies ( a symbol I love.) We did so much today. Walked all through the Old City walls. We walked down the road where Jesus road the donkey into the city on Palm Sunday. We stopped in the Garden of Gethsemene. This was moving for me. I love the scripture that takes place here.

My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass me by. Nevertheless, let it be as you, not I, would have it." Then, a little while later, He said, "If this cup cannot pass by, but I must drink it, your will be done!" (Matthew 26:42). "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak". An angel came from heaven to strengthen him. During his agony, as he prayed "his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down upon the ground".(Luke 22:43).


I was reminded of the human side of our Christ. Amazing that he struggled. Agonized over his journey to the cross. But He was obedient to Gods will. We see God as a big man in the sky sometimes but today I was hit by how God humbled himself to become man, human, flesh like us to fulfill Gods will for his people. This comforts me that we have a God so powerful to be all God and still have lived in human flesh. There is so much controversy over Jesus. Man... God.... prophet...teacher... but being where He was. Walking where He walked. There is something more to Him. To the scripture. I think that when I read the bible now I will have a better understanding of where and why this all happened.

We also went to the Church of the Holy Seplecure. THis is a Catholic church built on the "sites" they believe where the Tomb, Cross, and anointing table are. It was quite elaborate for my tastes. But beautiful none the less. A little commercial. I think we are going to the Garden tomb tomorrow. Not sure why there are two tombs...

It was intense standing in the Old City knowing that this is a HOLY place for the 3 largest religions in the world. Christianity...Judaism.... and Islam. Religion kinda blows my mind sometimes... how we all know ours is right. And how the world is in uproar in some place every moment over religion. I am really feeling how BIG the world is. Its intense if you really stop to think about it. Humanity. God. whoa...

Something that still is intense to me is that the Romans tore down the Temple in 70 something AD and now a Muslim Mosque is on the very site of the old temple.... seems blasphemous. Annoying almost. There is so much info and talk about prophecy and the polar oppositeness of the two religions... but the fact that where the center of Judaism is, is now covered by a religious holy place that contradicts that religion. It is staggering. It would be like if Ben Hill Griffin stadium in Gainesville was torn down and FSU went and rebuilt Doak Campbell Stadium on top of it. Might be sacrilegious to make that connection but that is how I see it at this moment.

We walked the Via Dolarosa today as well. Where Jesus carried the cross. Where his Blood was shed. Crazy.

We also shopped in this wonderful market area. It was so much like a city in the US. almost reminded me of Baltimore... haha...weird. IT was wonderful. Im learning to bargain with the shop owners.

Aunt Cathy, Aunt Susan, and mom and I are having a blast together. I am so thankful for these women in my life. They teach me so much.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

so amazing!! can't wait to read more and see pictures. xo.